At the start of the 1956 school year, secondary-aged school students in the Bentleigh area were requested to assemble at the grandstand of the Bentleigh Football Club to be a part of Bentleigh High School. The Headmaster Mr L.A. Cooke’s opening words were; “Buildings do not make a school, but the students and the teachers make a school.”
The first school motto was “Schools are not made of buildings.”
In 1984 Moorabbin High School closed and Bentleigh High School was amalgamated with Moorabbin Technical School to form Moorabbin City Technical High School. In 1987 the school once again changed its name to Moorabbin City Secondary College.
In 1996 School Council undertook to change the school name with overwhelming support to use “Bentleigh” in the college name. Local council boundaries had been redrawn sometime before and the college was now within the Glen Eira Council and there was no longer the Moorabbin Council. By the start of 1997, we had become Bentleigh Secondary College with a new logo and uniform to accompany the new title.
Bentleigh High School enjoyed respect and overwhelming community support and Bentleigh Secondary College is now enjoying the same.