The Bentleigh Respect Group
This is a ‘gay straight alliance group which has well over 25 members. Membership means that you are interested in ensuring that we live in a fair and safe world for everyone and being a member of the group does not define one’s sexual or gender identity.
Indeed no one ever asks what each person’s sexual or gender identity is. Bentleigh Secondary College is a member of the Safe Schools Coalition and this organisation provides support and guidance in ensuring safety for all at school.
The aims of the group are to:
- Promote, educate and celebrate sexual and gender diversity within the school community
- Provide mutual support
- Provide a safe place for students and staff to seek support
- Advocate and actively promote a homophobic and transphobic free school
We meet weekly and also become involved in celebrations and awareness raising events throughout the year. Some of these include
- Rainbow Day (IDAHOBIT), Wear it Purple Day, Harmony Day and Transgender Memorial Days
- Assemblies and education sessions for students and staff
- Attendance at the United Nations Summit on Human Rights for sexual and gender diverse young people
- Participation in the Gay Pride March
- Safe Schools Coalition activities
- Representing the school on the radio station Joy FM
- Specific training to better promote our cause and to provide support to others
- Special guests at lunches
Please approach the Wellbeing Team for further information.